Re: Wireless power transmission (fwd) electrostatic speakers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:13:19 -0500
From: Scott Stephens <radon86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wireless power transmission (fwd) electrostatic speakers (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> From: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Electrostatic speakers...is
> basically a flat plate capacitor 1 plate is ridged the other plate is
> allowed to move.
Yes, that is an *electrostatic* speaker. I was describing an *ion*
speaker, which works by ionizing gas. It can work as a microphone too,
as an old telephone carbon microphone; modulating conductivity rather
than changing electric field from corresponding changes in capacitance.

As a speaker though, sound in an ion speaker is generated from ionized
gas. I suspect we could find out if the sound is generated from
ion-acoustic plasma waves, magnetic, or thermal by observing the spectra
of the generated sound.

If it whistles at twice the exciting frequency, its probably thermal
rather than electric in nature, that is, if polarizing electric/magnetic
fields are present to bias operation, just as with electrostatic and
magnetic transducers.

Scott