Re: How to wind a simple Pancake Coil in less than an hour... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:34:55 +0000
From: Jeff Behary <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to wind a simple Pancake Coil in less than an hour... (fwd)

Hi Ed,

300 turns of 26 AWG.  I'm not sure of the operating frequency, only just
stumbled upon the nice Java calc that Bart has on his site.  (Wow!!!).  I'm
behind in the times for sure, and will enjoy figuring out all of the
technical details even though I'm doing it after the fact...

I had two MOTs with primaries in anti-parallel and secs in series for 4000V.
  I used a 10A fixed choke coil and also a turn-by-turn adjustable reactance
coil (a rewired variac) to limit the current from nil to around a kilowatt
in small increments.  Cap was .024 mfd, homemade.

If you pour the wax into a silicone cake pan with the coil you can toss it
in a warm oven for an hour or so to keep the wax liquid.  Normally the
bubbles raise to the top and go away within a half hour.  The nice part
about wax is that the curing time is whatever you need it to be!

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com
>Jeff:
>
>     How many turns and what wire size?  Couldn't quite read the label on
>the wire spool [most of mine have been dropped like that and the ends
>buggered up] but think maybe it was #26.  What was the operating
>frequency and what did you excite it with to get those nice hot sparks?
>
>     I've had trouble with trapped air in paraffin wax even when I've
>heated it carefully and gotten rid of all visible bubbles.  Have you
>managed to prevent this/  Can't tell from pictures.
>
>     This is getting interesting - feeling the urge to build.
>
>Ed

Live Hotmail.