Re: How to wind a simple Pancake Coil in less than an hour... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:00:50 +0000
From: Jeff Behary <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: f-h@xxxx
Subject: Re: How to wind a simple Pancake Coil in less than an hour... (fwd)

Finn,

"Nothing can stop the Pork Chop"
Those words are immortal now.  You and your site are also a great credit to
the list.  Homemade transformers and variacs are an impressive task, and
both look absolutely superb - as do the coils!

Your work is also a credit to three danes that are almost unknown here but
definitely shouldn't be.

Niels Finsen, the great experimenter of carbon arcs and sunlight to treat
various skin conditions and lupus.  He was so well respected at the turn of
the century that his discoveries were heard around the globe.  Later on they
were using Tesla Coil circuits (w/o secondary coils) where the spark gaps
were made of iron and had quartz lens.  High frequency condenser discharges
across the gap produced intense UV for treating the same conditions in a
more compact way.  I have before and after photos of these treatments, and
the people were given not only their health but a normal life afterward
after immense disfigurement from their conditions.  It was simply amazing.

Valdemar Poulsen - Most people have at least heard of him.  His work with
high frequency copper/carbon arcs under hydrogen made wireless telegraphy
possible with even 250 KW or more.  A Tesla Coil can be made with this same
principle too.  It's on the "to-do" list for later this year.
We've been searching a decade for one of these machines with little luck.
Even finding black and white photos is difficult...we only have a few dozen.

Peder Pedersen - An investigator that wrote three books on Lichtenberg
Figures and producing them.  To find a copy in the US is impossible.  If you
are able to in Denmark, we'll pay you whatever you like!  I've been dieing
to see those books since I heard of them years ago.  They were written in
the 30s.

I imagine that in Denmark these men are well known; is that the case?
Keep up the good work.

PS - At our museum the only thing we have from Denmark is a freezer full of
Salmiak.  I absolutely love it, my wife hates it.  A man in Finland wanted
some Tesla Coil components, and I traded them for 5 kilos worth.  He went to
every shop in Tampere and they thought he was completely mad asking for so
much of it!  (For those unfamiliar with it, it is a black licorice that is
highly salty...so salty you can use it for a saturated leyden jar!)

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com