Speakers/HVDC Re: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:06:13 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Speakers/HVDC Re: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

>Few weeks back I noticed in some trade mag an old ~1960 patent for an
>ion-speaker. They don't seem to have proliferated so I suspect the
>efficiency is poor. Searching on electrostatic speakers makes it
>questionable whether thermal or electronic forces predominate
>transducing sound.
    I have one, both the mag and a speaker.  Nonworking.
    Improvements in amplifiers (more watts/dollar) rather
    superseded the need for specialized speakers.

>When Tesla coils generate ions, "field emission" results in significant
>(if not predominant) energy loss according to the emitters "work
>function". Then there's "attachment" of ions to electro-negative oxygen,
>ozone generation, UV generation. I suspect no useful energy could be
>transmitted thus.

>But I've been interested in the feasibility of a VanDeGraaf-like
>generator based on spraying ions into a stream of circulating fluid.
>Perhaps letting the ions "attach" to oxygen at the emitter-base, then
>using a short-UV lamp to knock the electrons off at the top
>collector-terminal.
    Its been done, at least sort of, with circulating
    dust in an air stream.  French patents, ca 1947.
    I have scans somewhere.  Don't think it was ever implemented.

    (van de Graaf's, in addition to powering 'atom smashers' worked
     away, invisibly, sealed up, powering some xray machines.  Dunno
     if the still do.)

>Anyone have any idea how practical such a notion is? Every so often I
>hunt around for usable equations but find none. I'd like to be able to
>evaluate the relative merits of charge-carrier gases like Air, H2, Cl2
>at various pressures.

>Blowing pressurized air through a couple tubes with a fan would be more
>simple and robust, but perhaps less effective, than a belt on pulley.
     Scans on request.  8)>>

     (Not real detailed article, tho.)

      best
       dwp