Re: superconducting coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:12:24 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: superconducting coil (fwd)

>>So I was searching through the archives and never really found an answer to
>>my question.  Say you have unlimited funding and built a solid state coil,
>>winding the primary and secondary coils with something like YBCO or some
>>other high temperature superconductor.  I don't believe anyone has every
>>done this, but what would you expect to be different about this coil than
>>say a regular Cu wound coil?  What kind of efficiency are we looking at
>>here?  Would it have any weird or 'mystical' properties not found in regular
>>coils?

>    I never saw an answer to this posted here.  The answer is no, the
>performance couldn't be much different from that of a coil wound with
>dopper.  Copper loss in the secondary is so much less than the power
>lost in streamers that once they formed almost all the power would be
>dissipated in them as usual.
     I would certainly agree, to a point.
     However it rather depends on the 'purpose' of the coil/system.
     There are theories which, if i read Tesla correctly, would have
     the coil operating 'below breakout'.  [To be fair: I, personally,
     think such operation would not accomplish anything practical,
     however, 'below breakout' does seem to have been one mode Tesla
     pondered.)

     My speculation, is that, even so, the losses in conventional
     coils, in the copils proper, are SO low, even withnormal conductors,
     as to have minimal effect.  The shift to superconducting coils
     involves running 'a lot of stuff' at Liquid Hydrogen, or, at
     best, liquid nitrogen temps.  Also: Superconductors have a
     phenomenon called 'quench':  If the mag field (accompanying
     the passage of current) goes to high, they STOP superconducting.
     Solvable, however another complication.

     best
      dwp