Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with movies...(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:07:05 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with
    movies...(fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

You previously stated:
"Bart just pointed out that the metal pipe you are using acts like a
waveguide, or third coil."

My point was that waveguide behavior will only meaningful at frequencies
in the GHz range, not at 428 kHz or 1300 kHz. I fail to see how the
operation of your 3rd coil is anything like an air cavity Helmholtz
resonator. The only similarity is that both systems are exhibiting forms
of resonance, one acoustic, the other electromagnetic.

>> Given the
>> above, I don;t believe that Helmholtz resonators (audio
>> frequency sound resonating chambers) apply to the physics of
>> your system (or for magnifiers in general).
>
> Your logic is at odds with my experimental results.  It is clear from the
> stationary coronal discharge on the topload that longitudinal standing waves
> with no current was achieved (i.e. no wasteful streamers were produced).

Not exactly - my conclusions are significantly different than yours, and
they are consistent with observed behavior, with known Tesla Coil
theory/practice, and with the known physics of air breakdown.

Let's get a bit more specific - I assume you are referring to the
experimental setup shown on your web page:
http://www.tesla-coil-builder.com/FlatSpiralSolenoidCombo.htm

First, a brief digression about the physics and appearance of
progressive stages of air breakdown to bring everyone to the same
starting point. Breakdown (within a nonuniform field - such as around
your topload) occurs in several progressive stages as you increase
maximum topload voltage. Breakdown initially begins as relatively short
corona and glow discharges, and (because of the RF output voltage) both
positive and negative corona is observed.

Corona initially appears as short bluish-violet tufts at points where
the electric field gradient is sufficiently high. Corona initially
begins when the E-field at the terminal surface exceeds about ~26 kV/cm
(for negative terminal polarity) or ~30 kV/cm (for positive terminal
polarity). Under RF excitation, once corona begins, it may not be
extinguished until the voltage is reduced significantly (due to the
effects of injected space charge into the region surrounding the the
terminal).

With increasing terminal voltage, these discharges evolve into longer,
disruptive plume-like discharges called "burst corona" or "streamer
corona". Each burst corona discharge has a single root leading to a
diverging, conical discharge region that gets progressively dimmer as it
spreads out. You are actually seeing a myriad of visible avalanches as
the air becomes partially conductive. On systems with larger terminal
capacitance, burst corona makes a distinctive "popping" sound with no
corresponding streamer. Burst corona plumes are typically 2 - 6" long,
but they can be longer on higher voltage systems at the threshold of
breakout.

Most experienced coilers have heard and seen burst corona (sometimes
referred to as "gas jet" discharges), but they may not have recognized
them as such. Burst corona most typically appears in inefficient or
underpowered systems, especially if they also have small toploads.
Multitudes of small, conical discharges will appear all around the top
terminal, looking very similar to the blue flames of a gas stove burner.

Since these are low energy discharges, they aren't hot enough to create
strong thermal currents in the air, so each discharge root tends to stay
pretty much rooted in place. Burst corona discharges are often seen in
systems operating at low power levels, particularly at higher (> 1 MHz)
frequencies. [In fact, you may be seeing a bit of "shock excitation" of
your third coil, which would induce low energy ringing at its natural
frequency (~1.3 MHz)]. Burst corona also appears on systems with poor
tuning, systems with very lossy primary circuits (lossy tank caps,
poorly quenching gaps, etc), or on systems with too small a topload.
Coils with small toploads lack sufficient capacitance to provide the
high current pulses needed to support initial streamer formation and
leader growth. Your system has many of these attributes...

In order to develop longer streamers and leaders, it is necessary to
develop significantly higher terminal voltages, combined with
significant topload capacitance. Although well designed, well tuned
systems easily progress to develop streamers and leaders, poorly tuned
or underpowered coils may not. In analyzing your system, I conclude that
you are getting inefficient energy coupling to the tertiary coil. This
results in low output voltage, with a small topload C, perhaps combined
with a dash of low energy 1.3 MHz shock excited ringing - the system
cannot progress beyond the burst corona stage.

The above discussion reflects the hard-won knowledge and measurements of
countless coilers, independent researchers in gas discharge physics, and
my own direct observations of many systems. I know that you believe you
are seeing something else, but at least I've presented the "logic" I
employed to arrive at my conclusions.

How did you conclude that a lack of streamers means a lack of current?
Was this confirmed by any measurement? You must know that the fact that
you are seeing visible discharges means that current IS being exchanged
between your topload and the surrounding air. This is fundamental to,
and easily demonstrated for, any kind of gas breakdown. If your model
says otherwise, it simply doesn't conform to the realities of electrical
discharges in gases.

> Dave

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured