Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with movies...(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:32:30 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with
    movies...(fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

Hmmm... this simply doesn't sound quite right.

In a properly tuned magnifier, the third coil is excited directly via
base drive RF current (when the third coil is isolated from the driver)
or via a combination of base drive and transformer coupling (when it is
also magnetically coupled to the driver). The key is that excitation of
the tertiary coil is done at the natural resonant frequency of the
tertiary and topload (in situ). Under these conditions, the tertiary
coil develops significant additional voltage above the voltage at its
base. It is an active participant in further voltage multiplication and
not, simply, a simple conductive cylinder.

Because it uses a comparatively small diameter and lightly loaded
secondary, your magnifier is operating with a primary circuit that
resonates at a much lower frequency than the first resonant peak of your
third coil resonator (in situ). Bart's earlier analysis estimated that
your tertiary coil was resonant at about 1300kHz while you measured your
primary at 428 kHz. Because your driver is oscillating at a about 1/3 of
the resonate frequency of the tertiary, you are getting very inefficient
energy transfer between the secondary and tertiary coil. Consequently,
there will be little additional voltage contributed by the tertiary
coil. Under these conditions, your thin tertiary coil actually "looks"
much like a conductive tube to the pancake coil below in terms of how it
"loads" your pancake secondary. That's why Bart suggested that it might
be modeled this way in JavaTC (from an electrostatic and capacitive

However, this does NOT at all mean that your third coil is behaving like
a waveguide (i.e., with resonating E and H fields INSIDE the tube). With
the given geometries, you are over 1000X times too low in frequency to
be seeing waveguide phenomena. For a variety of reasons, your secondary
would make a very poor waveguide at GHz frequencies. Given the above, I
don;t believe that Helmholtz resonators (audio frequency sound
resonating chambers) apply to the physics of your system (or for
magnifiers in general).

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured