Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with movies... (fwd) -- binary capacitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:27:44 -0400
From: Marko Ruban <Marko@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with movies...
    (fwd) -- binary capacitor

Jeff,
in your pictures you have something you call binary capacitor. I think
that's a neat idea. I assume, you have 7 or 8 capacitors in the box,
each double the value of previous, and switches connect selected ones in
parallel. What construction did you use to make 1nF cap? Plate area,
materials? Doubling that would be pretty easy.

I've only built one stack capacitor so far, and it's giving me about
half the calculated capacitance (probably due to uneven distances
between plates). Do you test capacitors to see if you've achieved the
target value, or does your construction methodology produce caps very
close to theoretical values?

Thanks,
Marko