Re: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 03:57:46 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

>In normal air, you would be correct.  But in the case of air next to a
>wireless power generator, the ion concentration is rather high.  One of the
>by-products of a Tesla coil of any type is the production of ions near the
>top load.
     Perhaps.
     Usual operation, yes.  It is possible to so size the top load as to not
     produce ions.  cf discussion of Corona discharge.  ( I believe Tesla
     describes as 'power transmitter' 'top load' as 'surrounded by visible
     glow', so it is reasonable to accept that he expected ionization, my point,
     if over phinicky is that a Tesla Coil COULD be so constructed as to not
     have ionization.)

> If you leave the Tesla coil operating for a period of time, it
>will fill a space with ions.
     Ions, at earths surface (or therabouts: normal air' are relatively short
     lived.  ions 'decay' (not an exact usage) by neutralizing the charge.
     The energy required to ionize the neutral atoms, creating the ions, is lost
     eg to the light.

     best
      dwp