Ion patterns was Musical coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:25:35 -0500
From: Jeff Larson <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Ion patterns  was Musical coils

So Steve and I did that HV demo for the scifi con, and....

We did all sorts of coil tricks like, ion motors, gas tubes, CD
burning/erasing.  We ran both coils together and had them join arcs.
Since my coil is a rsg style and Steve's being solid state, the heavy
streamers did not happen too often, but it was very impressive when it
did.  The distance was something like 14 feet between the coils.  At one
point there was a slight breeze that was blowing across Steve's coil and
directly toward my coil.  So in other words my coil was downwind of
his.  I noted a very interesting thing.  The pattern that was created by
the upwind coil was picked up by the sparking of the downstream coil.
It appears that the breeze was moving the residual ions from one coil
into the range of the downwind coil and maintaining the pattern that was
created by the upwind coil.  The downwind coil re energized them making
the pattern visible again.  I guess it is not too surprising but this is
the first time I have seen this ion sharing between coils.
Unfortunately this phenomena did not show up well in my video.  However
Terry Blake shot the whole event with his new HD video camera.  Maybe we
can see that at some point.

Jeff Larson