RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:10:22 +0100
From: Colin Dancer <colind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm now not quite sure what mechanism you're
suggesting for power transmission.

Originally you were talking about longitudinal waves propagated by
electrostatic repulsion between charged particles (ions) mechanically
vibrating in the free air.  If this was the case you'd definitely be talking
about a plasma wave, because this pretty much the definition of an
electrostatic plasma wave http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waves_in_plasma .
Such a wave might well propagate power a small amount of power beyond the
near field, but even allowing for the increased ion density around a coil,
the damping forces due to the neutral particles in free air totally dominate
the very weak forces between ions.  Your best bet would be a plasma filled
wave guide, but this wouldn't really be "wireless" and even then using
microwaves would probably have much lower loses.

You now seem to be talking about large scale varying electrostatic fields.
Ions might be moved by such a field, but the damping still dominates so they
can't really help it to propagate or "stiffen" the field vibrations.  It's
also the case that to generate a large scale varying electrostatic field
you'll need to move about large amounts of charge to/from somewhere else.
If your "receiver" is closer together than your two charge reservoirs you
might well get a fair degree of capacitive coupling to the vibrating field,
but if it is further away then the charge in the two locations will tend to
cancel out just leaving classis EM radiation to propagate in the far field.

If you want to transfer power over long distances using capacitive coupling
the only suitability sized electrodes would be the earth and the ionosphere,
but losses in such a system would make the system totally non-viable.

So, coming back to your original claim that Tesla discovered some novel
mechanism of wireless power transfer, I think the consensus is that he was a
great visionary who invented many, many wonderful things (polyphase power
probably being the most important) but that in this area he was mistaken.

Having said all that, I am perfectly happy to be proved wrong and look
forward to you producing a new wonder device!

Colin.