Re: [] conical secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:19:23 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [] conical secondary (fwd)

Hi Dave,

Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
Certainly, but just be sure to use a cylindrical waveguide.

>An engineer approached me last year and offerred to fly out to see this coil
>operate, but I could not get it to run again.  My 15KV 30mA NST has gotten
>too weak and I can't seem to find anything stronger than an OBIT in my
>transformer collection.

You might want to contact Hal Krohn. I think he may have some NST's for
sale.

>I knew L3 resonated above 1200 KHz, but I didn't have a frequency generator
>to find the exact resonance.

No need. The program showed the result which also included the flat
secondary, primary, and topload components modeled, so everything was
there and it still resonates at this frequency (and of course, much
higher without all the capacitive inclusions). It may explain some of
the waveform anomalies, but only you could answer with measurement.

>Does Javatc account for the 90 degree magnetic field tilt at the center of
>the flat spiral?

Javatc is using Paul Nicholsons geotc code. Paul's geotc will identify
the capacitance between objects. A sphere within a sphere (no problem),
coil within a coil (no problem), it does all that, and therefore, Javatc
does also. It's inductive resolution is very precise and uses Grover's
tables, something he realized from Mark Rzeszotarski. As far as a
magnetic shift, well, probably not looked at in the way your thinking.
But, the end result is good.. I do know that my flat and helical coils
are precisely on Paul's programming predictions. In all my endeavors
with coils, when I've had a problem with program prediction, it has
always been a fault of my own measurements.

Something to know about me: I am very stubborn in my day to day life.
It's very hard to change my opinion. You've got to prove me wrong first.
I think that attitude comes with both age and experience. But, I've
proven myself wrong too many times with Paul's programs. He doesn't even
know of those occurrences when I'm arguing with myself in the garage
(waiting for the patty wagon to show up). He always ends up right and me
wrong. Again, he doesn't even know. I only tell him the data after my
long drawn out assessment.

>As for the spark gap, I have mil spec silver plated copper contacts with
>compressed air blowing between them.  I can select from 1 to 8 gaps.  I know
>I never used more than four gaps.

If it's doing well, excellent! Spark gaps can change a coil entirely.
Often, coilers don't realize how poor their gap is performing, well,
until they build a better one. Then the lights turn on!

>Yes, I agree it is difficult to tune three coils to work together.  It is
>like herding cats.

Excellent analogy! It's just like that!

>I'm having the same difficulty with my wireless power
>system I'm trying to build.  The problem is the coils are built to fixed
>values.

That's a problem.

>Only the primary is adjustable.  I was surprised to see the
>enormous changes in resonance that occurred when coating the coils and
>setting them up.

Yes, every "friggin" thing effects resonance, and of course, on some
coils greatly, on others not so much. It's the geometric size and values
that tell the tale.

>I think I have found a way out, though.  It has occurred to me that a 1000
>watt variable frequency FM broadcasting station could replace the primary
>and secondary coils.  I would only need to build the third coil and tune the
>transmitter.  And instead of broadcasting the 1000 watt signal I could run
>the antenna as the ground of the third coil, which is essentially what I
>have done with the system you just analyzed.  Now all I need is $5000 to buy
>the FM transmitter.

We should all be millionaires! I personally would build a stone-walled
castle to suit my coiling interests on a grand scale! Somewhere in
Nevada where no one has access (a lot of that in Nevada).

>And now that you mentioned the L3 can be replaced with essentially a copper
>pipe, I will try that.  If it will work, I can make L3 to be variable
>frequency by sliding one pipe inside another with both immersed in oil.

It should work just as it is now. This makes life a little easier with a
2 coil setup vs the setup you currently have with an unknown helical. I
don't think it's doing much unless it was tuned to a harmonic of the
fundamental, and even then, who knows? 3 coil systems are not a
prominent area of list discussion. It's an obvious graduation, but there
just haven't been many who have tried it and reported. They are still
resonant transformers, and that is the basic definition of a Tesla Coil.

Take care,
Bart