Re: dc hv capacitor question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:57:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: dc hv capacitor question (fwd)

Ceramic caps aren't polarized.  The 10kvdc thing is
the rating of how much DC potential they can
withstand.  This means they can tolerate about 7kvac.
They are not marked with + and - signs because the
hookup polarity doesn't matter.

Are you planning to use them as tesla coil tank caps?
Just because they can survive intermittent pulse duty
in laser service doesn't mean they can stand up to
tesla coil tank circuit duty.  The high RF currents,
high pulse repetition rate, big dv/dt, etc., etc. is
too much for most doorknob caps.

Cheers,

Greg