Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:17:35 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

Yes, Javatc does "exactly" as Antonio suggested. Both the L and C
portions of the geometry are considered and this is performed by a
series of rings around the coil. Paul Nicholson set this up in Geotc.
Javatc uses Geotc (I feed your data to Geotc and output Geotc's
results). This occurs in the Fres, L and C outputs, and Mutual
Inductance. Coupling is derived from the mutual inductance. Other misc.
outputs are not Geotc results, but are often derived from them. Ac
resistance and Q are not part of Geotc. Those are empirically based on
140+ real world coils with actual Q measurements.

Javatc has literally taken into account many aspects of the TCML over
the years. This includes John Freau's spark length, Paul Nicholson's LC
genius, and a lot of others on the list. Javatc is literally the best of
the TCML in a program form. I hope someday that someone will design a
better "coil design" program ( or at least faster) so that I can retire
Javatc. As of today, no takers! Many have stated they wanted to, but no
one actually has taken the time (and it is a lot of time to get it
right). So until then, Javatc remains on my website (12 years now). I'm
tired of updating Javatc. So, please, someone with programming prowess,
replace it and make an even more accurate and faster program.

BTW, for those recently wondering about conical coils. Javatc can do
that easily. The primary and the secondary can be any configuration. The
same accuracy applies. If Bill sends me his GTO2 coil geometry data, I
can even tell him all kinds of tid bits on that coil that will be accurate.

Javatc can't do flat ribbon primary's however. I can tell you the
inductance of a flat ribbon primary:
http://www.classictesla.com/java/flatribbon/flatribbon.html

But, Javatc doesn't consider flat ribbon primary's and is based on
Geotc's capabilities at this time. But, the typical round conductor is
no problem with a cone secondary, inverse cone, flat, or helical secondary.
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

Take care,
Bart