Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:24:20 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

I think Bart Anderson's JAVATC makes these calculations for you
automatically.  I use the program a lot and can say it is the more accurate
program I have used.  The TC designs with this program work extremely well.

Dr. Resonance

>     I wonder if there's anything in Maxwell which is worth looking at?

Maxwell´s book has an exact formula for the mutual inductance between
two coaxial rings, that
can be used as base for a very precise calculation of the mutual
inductance between two coils.
In the case of self-resonant coils as used by the MIT guys there is some
complication because
a significant part of the coupling between the circuits is capacitive.
But the capacitance matrix
of an array of rings can be calculated too. The entire circuit can be
approximated with good
precision, probably, by considering each coil as a series combination of
ring inductors, with all
the couplings (and inductances too) calculated by Maxwell's formula,
including also the mutual
inductances between the rings of both coils and the two extra loops, and
adding to this array
the capacitance matrix of all the rings.The capacitances between two
rings and from the rings
to ground (infinity) can be split in two, connected to the terminals of
the discrete inductors.
Losses and radiation can be included as resistors, although their exact
(or almost) calculation may
be complicated.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz