Re: 15kVA 12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:37:02 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 15kVA  12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

Hi Tim,

It sounds like your tank capacitor and current limiter may be resonating
at the mains frequency. If your ballast is set to short circuit current
limit at ~40A and you're using a 14.4 kV distribution transformer, a 0.1
uF cap will resonate at just about 60 Hz. This situation disappears when
you only use half of the LV side winding (in effect you change the
system to go from Resonant to Larger Than Resonant (LTR) mode.

The root cause is using a current limiter set to 40 amps with your 0.1
uF tank cap. Because the combination is mains resonant, this mode of
operation can be a "cap killer" if your SRSG motor fails. The loud
humming sound strongly suggests that, in addition, you may also be
saturating your variac current limiter. This is quite likely if you
haven't inserted any air gaps in the variac core(s). Ballast saturation
will also cause significant power arcing in your rotary gap. The higher
impedance of the potential transformers used in your previous systems
may have masked both of the above problems.

For improved results, you'll want to readjust your current limiting
ballast so that, for any pig voltage setting, the system always operates
in Smaller Than Resonant (STR) mode. For smooth operation and to reduce
power arcing, it's also important that your ballast inductor does not
saturate under maximum current draw. To avoid mains resonance problems,
you'll need to significantly lower your ballast inductance so that your
current limit (without saturating) is no less than 60 amps under full
input voltage. Since this may "cook" the variac brushes in your existing
current limiting scheme, you may also want to consider making a separate
inductive ballast using #10 - 12 AWG house wire wrapped around soft iron
wire, welding rods, or transformer laminations, or use 1-2 500 foot
rolls of #10 - #12 housewire (as is, on the spool). Unfortunately,
because of the tank cap value you're using, a standard 200A welder may
still cause mains resonance problems if used as a ballast...

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured