Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use with 110V (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:10:05 +0800
From: westland <westland@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use with 110V

I have an interesting variant on one of the questions that just came up
about series wiring of transformers.  I'll be moving to Chicago in two
months, and from 220V to 110V mains.  I currently have two 15KV
240V/50Hz/0.03A Transformers wired in parallel (for .060A) that power my
TC.  I'm wondering if there is any problem switching leads around for
110V/60Hz ... running the secondary in series, and the primaries in
parallel.  I figure since its a 50Hz transformer, it's already about 20%
overengineered, and the secondaries takes 15KV at .03A, so I should end
up with output of 15KV at .03A (rather than the 0.03A I get in Hong Kong).

I'm looking for a sanity check on my logic, just to make sure that I
don't bring them to the States only to burn them up.  Clearly, I can
keep the current arrangement, and just precede them with a 110 to 220V
stepup transformer.

Chris Westland

--

J. Christopher Westland, PhD CPA
Professor, ISMT, University of Science & Technology, HK Clearwater Bay,Kowloon, Hong Kong