Re: variac voltage out (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 05:55:47 -0500
From: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: variac voltage out (fwd)

Hey Chip,

you are right to a degree about the low voltage part...  you can in fact
wire a 240 V variac on 120 V and it will function rather well  until you
start wanting to use the full output range on the variac.
For example, at 0 out you get 0 output , as you increase the  "output"
to about 85% you will get a matched true output of the input voltage.
Once you pass the 85% mark, the output voltage doesnt climb much higher
( especially if you have a load on the output side) .

Most likely the core is "too big" for 120Vac on a 1256D

How do I know ??  I tried it with a 1256D variac on 120 V in ...  :)

Scot D