Re: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:40:23 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

We have two xmfrs in Farm & Fleet tubs with no leakage for approx 8 years.
Our tubs are approx 1/8th inch thick.  12/60 running at 180 mA.

Dr. Resonance

It may just be me, but I think an oil-immersed NST is a mess waiting to
happen.  Oil-filled containers, in particular plastic ones, simply WILL
leak.

When I unpotted my 15/60, I simply re-used the original metal case.  You'll
not find a better fitting alternative.  Yes, it is not oil-tight.  So I
filled it not with oil but melted Vaseline jelly.  After cooling and
solidifying, it's leak-proof and spill-proof, and not a lick of trouble
since.

BTW, my 15/60 was a Jefferson, and its core construction does not lend
itself to shunt removal.

BBTW, the Vaseline jelly might melt somewhat if one were to operate a
deshunted NST for many consecutive minutes.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA