RE: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:17:42 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

It may just be me, but I think an oil-immersed NST is a mess waiting to happen.  Oil-filled containers, in particular plastic ones, simply WILL leak.

When I unpotted my 15/60, I simply re-used the original metal case.  You'll not find a better fitting alternative.  Yes, it is not oil-tight.  So I filled it not with oil but melted Vaseline jelly.  After cooling and solidifying, it's leak-proof and spill-proof, and not a lick of trouble since.

BTW, my 15/60 was a Jefferson, and its core construction does not lend itself to shunt removal.

BBTW, the Vaseline jelly might melt somewhat if one were to operate a deshunted NST for many consecutive minutes.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA