Re: Solid state gaps beginners questions? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:32:46 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Solid state gaps beginners questions? (fwd)

Matt and all,
     I thought up another, possibly better idea, but once again, do not have
any clue if it would work at all in real life or even just in theory (or be
worth trying).  What if you had only 2 switching devices on separate chains
facing opposite polarities, and then instead of more transistors in the
chain, you filled it with diodes, so when it conducts the voltage drop
across the switches would be small, but synchronizing firings is not an
issue, and the diodes would not conduct until an "easy" path was established
by opening the transistor.  You would need at least two chains, one to
conduct in either direction, as the coil "rings", and enough pairs to carry
the tank current, and one could rig up a timer chip to do the switching at
asynchronous speeds, so the BPS could be adjusted lending for much
experimental license.  My gut tells me, it wouldn't work this way, unless
the internal resistance of both the diodes and transistors were carefully
chosen, minimizing the load on the switch (and the resistance in the tank
did not end up too high, but one could just add more chains to fix that),
and assuming one found a way to completely isolate the timer from all
possible HV, but once again, just curious.
Scott Bogard.
P.S.  My thanks to everybody who provided me with answers to my other
questions, maybe someday I'll try building a real DRSSTC or SISG solid sate
coil, but for now it is still a little too complicated my mechanical
(non-electrical) mind!

>Hi Scott,
>
>I can answer one of the questions. In principle, an array would work.
>However, finding the required number of components with  characteristics
>that
>identical, and switching them with absolute  synchronicity would be very
>unlikely.
>Without identical turn-off and  turn-on, you would have unbalanced loads
>resulting in what I believe would be  catastrophic failure.
>
>Matt D.

>http://www.aol.com.

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/