RE: Solid state gaps - what happened? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 23:21:25 -0500
From: Mark R Dunn <teslamark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Solid state gaps - what happened? (fwd)

John:

Yes, I have boards available for $25 each.  I can typically ship multiple
boards for about $5.  The boards are 3 oz copper to handle the high current.
Calcs suggest we have pushed 500 to 600 amps thru them.

By complete coincidence today I got a call today that the IGBT's that I
ordered last fall (32 weeks ago!!) have come in. I don't want to commit
until I have them in hand, but I should be able to supply IGBT's for $10ea.
Check with me next week off-list to confirm.

In addition, a fellow TCML coiler indicates that the IGBT's are IN STOCK at
Allied Elec for $12 and available thru Arrow for $10 with a 9 week lead
time.

The IGBT's that we have been trying to purchase are IRGPS60B120KDP.  These
are the ROHS version (Don't get me started on ROHS bull#$%!)  As far as I
know, the non-ROHS version are no longer available.  When the ROHS versions
became available last summer at $20 to $25 they were twice (or more) the
price of the non-ROHS.  I bought some of the non-ROHS versions and shipped
them to fellow coilers last year before I ran out.  Now it looks like the
ROHS version is finally becoming reasonably priced.  Note: For those
unfamiliar ROHS does not affect performance in any way. It is a "green"
issue.

Brett Miller has succeeded in using the FGL40N120AND for an SISG.  It has
the same voltage rating as the 60B120, but about half the current.  A quick
check suggests that it is more expensive than the 60B120, but I think Brett
had them available from another project.

By the way, I a have a number of your toroids and they are the greatest.  I
recently did an SISG demo for some fellow coilers in Chicago and they
instantly recognized my toroids as "John Freau".

Mark

Snip...