Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:39:43 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news...  (fwd)

At 01:03 PM 6/8/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

My fond (and optimistic) hope is that the funding was highly
indirect.  For instance, at JPL (and at other institutions) there's a
variety of programs to fund small research tasks, say, for a few work
months (a few tens of thousands of dollars, or less).  The
application process is pretty straightforward.. maybe a 1 page
application describing what you want to do, what benefits it might
have, etc.  Most universities have similar things, often to provide
work for grad students during the summer, for instance.  The standard
of review for the research proposal is, by necessity (it's only a one
page application), fairly rudimentary, since they're designed to
address little ideas that pop up that wouldn't be appropriate for a
substantial research proposal (which would involve more rigorous
review).  In academia, you'll hear the term "mini-grants".

Yes, some of them wind up being truly lame (hopefully not the ones at
JPL!), but, on the other hand, you don't want to spend $50K in effort
evaluating a grant proposal for a $5K grant. (to put this in work
scale terms, $5K will buy you about a week or two's labor).  The
"quality" of the selection process gets reviewed more in an aggregate
basis... they might look at what's been approved over the last year,
perhaps a dozen or two $10-20K jobs, and say, well, we got decent
results from 30% of them, so so from 50%, and 20% are definitely in
the "don't fund it again" category.  Overall, you're looking at maybe
$1M over the year, total, in the context of a $1B operation.  The
lame ones are truly "down in the noise"

After all, it's no different than tinkering in the garage for
us.  How many of us have spent some money or time on a piece of gear
that now sits gathering cobwebs in the corner waiting for that
special occasion?  Your selection criteria and evaluation are judged
in a similar way.. your spouse says, "Don't buy any more HV junk on
spec until you get rid of the old stuff" or "Gosh, wouldn't it be fun
to have a spa in the backyard to cover that concrete slab where you
do those experiments"..

The funds for these sorts of things come from a designated chunk of
the contract funds for large jobs (e.g. we expect you to spend 3% of
the contract value on investigating new and novel technologies, 3% on
public outreach, etc.) or as a result of some other grant and bequest
or the tax codes (e.g. The Getty Foundation has to spend 5% of the
endowment value every year or lose their tax free status... ).

DoD, among other funding agencies, recognizes the value of throwing
small amounts of money out there on speculative things, on the off
chance that something will work. (high risk, high reward, as the
DARPA phrase has it)

In such a case, there is usually a funding agency credit
requirement.. That is, all these contracts and grants have a "nickel
rule" causing 5% to go into some speculative resarch funding pot,
which is then disbursed through a number of tiers to the eventual
investigator.  Since the original money came from DoD or DoE or
whoever, you have to say "this research supported by ...."

The key would be to look if the credit acknowledgement has a specific
task number associated with it (e.g. this work was funded under
contract AFRL-12-35/23505-B) which would indicate that, in general,
it wasn't funded out of one of these general R&D pools.

And then, of course, the Outreach and Public Relations folks at
research institutions LOVE to have little tasks with public appeal to
talk about: See, our TOP MEN AND WOMEN are producing INNOVATIONS of
REAL VALUE.  Even if the funding invested in the work was down in the
thousandths of a percent of the overall budget.