Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:37:06 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news... (fwd)

Hello All,
   Can someone explain to me why the word 'Evanescent' is used? I'm an
optics guy, and an evanescent field is hardly seen a few meters away from
the source, let alone within a few microns of the surface. Forgive me if I
don't understand. My background is (heavily) in optics, so I'm not well
versed in RF.

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen"

	Same evanescent but used by charlatans to expand their puffery.  A few microns at visible light frequencies is quite a distance at a wavelength of 30 meters such as these guys used in their trivial demo.  Anyone who's willing to invest in the copper, time to wind coils, and has a suitable ham transmitter could duplicate their demo albeit at lower power unless he used a power amplifier.

Ed