Re: Solid state gaps beginners questions? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:12:56 +0200
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Solid state gaps beginners questions? (fwd)

Tesla list skrev:
> [...]
Perhaps "much bigger arcs" is pushing it, but surely the SISG is very
efficient.
The advantages lie in other areas, I think.
But first to your questions. A SISG coil is disruptive, and acts like an
ordinary disruptive coil equipped with a static gap. This gap has a very
accurate turn on voltage, which does not change while running, like many
static spark gaps tend to do, due to heat dissipation problems.

   People have been talking about "triggered SISG",
> what does that mean?

The ordinary SISG uses a string of SIDAC`s to clamp the voltage across
the IGBT`s while they turn on. This means that the IGBT is made to
conduct at a fixed voltage threshold and this is only good for certain
purposes. Like if that is what you go for. A consequence of this is a
fixed or perhaps erratic breakrate. But an uncontrolled breakrate.
If you wold like to controll the breakrate, ome sort of trigger
circuitry has to be incorporated. This is done by placing a thyristor in
parallel with the majority of the SIDAC`s, and then force it into
conduction by a trigger pulse into a gate transformer.
This sort of retires the SIDAC`s into acting as "safety gaps" to insure
that the IGBT`s are kept below thair peak voltage rating.

Cheers, Finn Hammer