Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:58:18 +0100
From: Chris Rutherford <chrismrutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news... (fwd)

After a bit of digging I found the papers.

http://www.mit.edu/~soljacic/AIP_press.pdf
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0611/0611063.pdf

Here's an interesting paragraph.  Does this 'breakthrough' seem familiar to
anyone?

"However, Soljačić realized that the close-range induction taking place
inside a
transformer -- or something similar to it -- could potentially transfer
energy over longer distances, say, from one end of a room to the other.
Instead of irradiating the environment with electromagnetic waves, a power
transmitter would fill the space around it with a "non-radiative"
electromagnetic field. Energy would only be picked up by gadgets specially
designed to "resonate" with the field. Most of the energy not picked up by a
receiver would be reabsorbed by the emitter."

<sarcasm>
Maybe he uses 'scalar waves', but thats been classified so he cant tell us
what the real breakthrough is.
<\sarcasm>

Thanks

Chris