Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:53:17 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

I wanted to add some things about sonotube that came to mind after I
sent this.

I am not advocating the use of sonotube, just telling my experience.
Sonotube has been said to cause racing sparks and things of that nature.
That is ridiculous. A poorly sealed sonotube form will absorb moisture
and cause a big change in the dielectric. The moisture content appears
as though the coil was wound on a metal cylinder. This effectively
changes the tuning as it is a large external capacitance seen to the
secondary. Thus, tuning changes. The coil is no longer in tune and
racing sparks can definitely occur. Of course, if the sonotube was
properly sealed to prevent moisture absorption into the fibers, this
would never occur. It's that simple.

Although sonotube is thin and does not weigh much, it is also harder to
make end caps for to mount large top loads onto. I did this by gluing in
top and bottom disc (using dowels into the sides of the disc) and
running a 2" pvc pipe inside the coil the entire length which had a
press fit to the 2" hole in the center of each disc. Granted, this
worked to make the sonotube coil very rigid and capable of mounting top
load objects onto, but it's not ideal.

If I were to again build a large coil, I would likely choose pvc (or
something other than cardboard) because of the mechanical machinability
and the fact that pvc is a much stronger form for these kind of things.

I wanted to clarify that I dispute the performance issue of sonotube,
but I'm all for the use of other form materials from a mechanical
standpoint.

Take care,
Bart