Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:08:33 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

The problem with sonotubes is the "release agent" coating on the inside of
the tube.  It is a semi-conductor as the voltage increases beyond 300 kV.
We often use non-sonotube, non-coated tubes for sec coilforms --- 1/4 inch
wall cardboard and liberally apply Dolph's AC-43 varnish which soaks up into
the tube.  We usually heat the tubes first with a few heat lamps to get them
very hot prior to applying the Dolphs.  We are lucky to have a cardboard
tube fabricator not far from our shop.  We use fiberglass layup tubes for
all our commercial coils.

PVC also works very well if thoroughly sanded inside and outside --- again,
coated with AC-43 in liberal amounts.  You need to get all the "junk" off
the PVC tube prior to sealing.

Dr. Resonance