Re: strike rail mystery. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:48:57 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: strike rail mystery. (fwd)

In many cases, with classic Tesla coil setups, the experimenter forgets that
a "variac" autotransformer effect occurs across the very high Q primary
coil.  If you have an extra 3-4 turns hanging on the primary, e.g., your pri
tap is in 3-4 turns from the end of the primary coil, very high potentials
can exist across the end of the outer turn.

This is the principal that Tesla discovered when making his "magnifier"
system.  This is, of course, not desireable in a classic coil system where
you want the last tap usually within 1 turn of the end.  This is also why
I'm a strong advocate of building a "scrap wire" primary circuit before
laying on lots of copper tubing, tapping in 4-6 turns from the outer end,
and then seeing 8-10 inch long sparks flashing from the last turn to
anything grounded, or, worse yet, upwards along your secondary coil.

Keep the primaries as "tight" as possible to the required number of turns to
prevent autotransformer voltage multiplication due to the very high Q of
copper tubing primaries.

When Sloan built his 18 turn 1,000,000 Volt, 150 kVA, vacuum tube resonance
transformer (I believe it was at Stanford), he applied only 15 kV input at
150 kVA from the CW oscillator into a water cooled 2 inch dia. copper tube
sec.  He tapped across the first 2-3 turns and developed a tremendous
voltage multiplication due to the very high Q effect, i.e., a Tesla
"magnifier" effect.

This Q multiplier effect is causing your strike rail flashovers.  Trim your
pri properly and this problem will go away.

These effects along with overly tight coeff. of coupling (k factor) cause
many the the "racing spark" problems.

Dr. Resonance