Re: MIT wireless energy transfer etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:09:29 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MIT wireless energy transfer etc. (fwd)

>> . . . capacity loaded coils would have . . . higher Q. . . .
> . . . top capacitance lowers Q. . . .

There are three different wireless energy transmission methods associated
with the name Nikola Tesla: 1) radio, 2) induction, and 3) "disturbed charge
of ground and air."  The first method is radiative; methods #2 and #3 do not
involve electromagnetic radiation, i.e., "radio waves."  You are presently
confusing #2 and #3.

Methods 1 and 3 involve a series of four concatenated tuned circuits for the
wireless transmission of electrical energy, two at the transmitter and two
at the receiver.

Tesla also used a series of four concatenated tuned circuits for the
wireless transmission of energy by electromagnetic induction.  This work
started at 35 South 5th Ave., and was subsequently adopted for lighting
purposes at the 46 Houston St. laboratory. [NIKOLA TESLA  GUIDED WEAPONS &
COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY, Anderson, L.I., Ed., Twenty First Century Books,
Breckenridge, 1998, p. 62.]  Tesla also used the induction energy
transmission method at Colorado Springs in order to test its efficacy as
compared with the "disturbed charge of ground and air method."  In this case
the induction transmitter contained three of the tuned circuits, and the
receiver was a single tuned circuit comprised of a one-turn inductance and a
capacitor.

     "This [shown in Fig. 59] is transmission of energy by induction.  Here
is a tuned circuit, you see, out in the field with three incandescent lamps
and a condenser.  The energy is transmitted inductively, from the
oscillator.  In this case, I have the primary supply circuit, the energizing
condenser circuit, the primary inducing circuit, and the secondary in the
field as in the fourth circuit, all tuned -- four circuits in resonance."
[NIKOLA TESLA ON HIS WORK WITH ALTERNATING CURRENTS . . . , pp. 93-94.]  ".
. . it is found that with the above circuits and under such conditions about
1 mile communications should be possible.  With circuits 1000 meters square,
about 30 miles.  From this, the inferiority of the induction method would
appear to be immense as compared with disturbed charge of ground and air
method." [NIKOLA TESLA  COLORADO SPRINGS NOTES  1899-1900, p. 29.]