Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:36:51 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

What was the wavelength the Corums used, what was the power, and
>where and and how big was the arc?  As for a TC without top load, we all
>have built them at one time or another - haven't you?  Of course, if one's
>objective is long stramers, coils with top loads of some sort or another
>work much better.

    My understanding is that streamer length will increase with increasing
    top load radius, up to some limit, depending on temp/humidity, etc,
    varying with coil tuning/retuning.

    'all' this follows well established electrical 'rules'.

    best
     dwp"

	Question really referred to the waveguide demo and you answered
that pretty well.  I've seen plenty of internal 10 GHz waveguide arcs at
powers well under a kilowatt average and with more power stuff
(particularly waveguide windows on expensive tubes) melts almost
instantly.  As for the Corums, I have quite a few articles from them at
work filed under Ultra Wide Band Radar but don't find all of them credible
or important.  Neither here nor there I guess.  As for top loads in
general they certainly increase the breakdown voltage and tend to reduce
the surge impedance of the secondary, both conditions I would associate
with long streamers.  Of course, the power counts most.

Ed