Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:28:18 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

Bart and all
I have built a meter that appears to work well in measuring high
voltages. I use a 1 ma movement and a very long string of resistors in a
voltage devider. The meter is fed through a bridge retifier. I
calibrated the unit and it appears accurate to about 5%. When the system
goes into resonance the voltage jumps to about 20kv with 40v input to
the NST. I would not have believed it."

	I would have.  A number of years ago I blew up the 5 kV scale of a
Simpson 260 measuring the secondary voltage of a 15 kV, 60 ma transformer
with 0.006 ufd load.  Was ramping up the voltage with a variac and the
thing obviously went into a ferromagnetic resonance mode at around 25
volts on the primary.  Never again!  High leakage reactance transformers
with capacitive loads are tricky things at best.

Ed