Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:15:53 -0400
From: Skip Greiner <skipg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC

Hi Bart and All

Sorry for the confusion in the specs. The primary is 19 inches in
diameter wound with 0.25" copper tubing with 0.25" spacing between
turns. The secondary is 14 inches in diameter. Both windings are
helical. The bottom turn of the secondary is in the same plain as the
top turn of the primary. This positioning of the secondary was necessary
to reduce the coupling between primary and secondary. Unpowered, the
resonant frequency of the secondary with no top load is about the same
as the 1/4 wave frequency of the wire length in the secondary.

All of the arcing that is taking place is with only 50vac input to the
NST. I will try to measure the NST output voltage when powering the coil
and try to verify that resonance is indeed causing the arcing that is
taking place.

My intention with this coil was to build a secondary that would resonate
at the at the 1/4 wave frequency of the wire length used in the
secondary. Indeed, with no top load, the overall excited resonant
frequency of the secondary is only slightly below the non powered
resonant frequency. Although the sparks without a toroid are only about
12" in length, there are a huge number of them and I plan to try to find
a way to concentrate them without a toroid. Also I will be increasing
the cap size to see the effect on the NST resonance problem (?).
Skip