Re: synchronous gap help (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 04:34:08 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: synchronous gap help (fwd)

Hi Tony,

The LTR value of a cap is based on the transformers resonant cap value.
It is also based on specifically a Neon Sign Transformer running at 60
Hz in 120 bps operation (or 50 Hz at 100 bps). This is sometimes
forgotten. NST's were prone to over voltage secondary winding arcovers
internal to the transformer, and things like LTR were developed to
design out of a major resonance condition and also things like the Terry
Filter.

If you are running an NST at higher bps, just do some simple math to
accommodate an LTR value. Remember, the LTR is based on 60Hz input at
120 bps. So, if your running at say 240 bps, base the input on 120 Hz.
Thus, if you double the break rate, the LTR value divides in half. For
example, if at 60 Hz operation at 120 bps your LTR is .01uF, at 240 bps
your LTR value is .005uF.

MMC voltage ratings. That topic has had a lot of time on the list. The
smart thing to do is derate any cap bank. But many have rated their caps
barely above their cap voltage and the caps still do well. How long? Who
knows? I personally give a decent margin. I use a derating value of 2
times the DC rating for MMC's. I like derating, but I also don't want to
go overboard. Haven't lost an MMC cap since. I did early on previous to
derating to a value 2.

Take care,
Bart