Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:33:28 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

Hi Dave,

You apparently have a 1 mA Full Scale (1 mA FS) meter movement. To
convert it to read 0-15 kV, you need to connect a 15 megohm HV resistor
in series with the meter. You don't need to use any divider circuit. The
HV resistor(s) must be rated for a total of 15 watts, and MUST be
capable of withstanding 20 kV (use at least 2X the max anticipated
voltage for safety margin, ESPECIALLY if you are measuring across an
energy discharge cap). Use "tiger stripe" type HV resistors that are
made to accurately handle HV with minimal resistance change. You can
remove the internal 15k resistor in the meter if you wish, but it's
really not necessary since its presence doesn't affect the reading by
more than ~0.1%.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured