RE: Marx Generator (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:26:44 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Marx Generator (fwd)

No, they're not at all similar beyond both having capacitors and spark
gaps.  A Marx generator has many capacitors that are charged in parallel
and discharged in series.  So if there are 12 stages with each capacitor
charged to 10kV, the output will be 120kV.  In a Tesla Coil, there is
only one capacitor and one spark gap, and the gap discharges the cap
into the primary inductor.  The higher secondary voltage comes about by
virtue of the primary-to-secondary inductance ratios, not by addition of
multiple capacitor stages.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> From: Langer Giv'r <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Marx Generator
>
> Hi, I was just thinking of building a marx generator and was reading
on the
> principal of it.  I was thinking if a Marx Generator builds energy in
the
> capacitors bank in parallel, then discharges all this energy through
them in
> series, then isn't the Tank Capacitor and the Spark Gap in the Tesla
Coil