Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:07:15 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

Hi David,

I know you run twice the power I do on your big coils. I'm using 1.5" x
0.375" pure tungsten electrodes in the rotary and the same electrode in
the stationary, except that the stationary electrodes are mounted in
large brass masses. This is something we might have in common. Another
item in common for probably most rotary's is the disc diameter which
affects a similar airflow and cooling ability.

I have a 12" disc with a running electrode diameter of 10.6". For my pig
coil, this equates to about 46ms of mechanical dwell time. 3rd notch
quenching occurs at 276us. After quench, I have about 2.7ms of charge
time before the next alignment. It takes 5.76ms for full charge, so I am
firing at about 18.8kV peak vs 20.3kV peak. Still 92% with a time
constant of 2.55. That's based on .04uF cap size. My ballast limits me
to about 7200 VA. My electrodes are as narrow as I can get without
colliding, thus timing is serving everything. Most likely, few
misfirings as the voltage is plenty capable of arcing the gap at
alignment at 340 bps.

The gap should actually do ok at even higher bps from a charge vs speed
situation (to a degree), but as you and I mentioned, we are seeing
sparks decrease beyond the 350 mark. So, I expect it's simply down to
crossing an efficiency barrier with the gap itself.

Take care,
Bart