Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:25:37 EDT
> From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

<snip>

> >when it comes to motor control, 3-phase is industry
> standard  and VFD's are
> >their industry standard control module.
>
>     Depends very much on the industry!

It does, but 3 ph is the standard for my industry. We
have motors ranging from several Hp up to 2,500 Hp
running on VFD's. We do have a couple of small DC
drives, but most everything we do is 3 ph 480 or
4,160.

> Reliance has always
> made very tough stuff.

<snip>

>   IMHO the Cutler-Hammer SV(X)9000 drives have given
> me the best  luck over
> the long run, although the manual is a bit difficult
> in places.  Sumitomo
> drives were built like a battleship. ABB makes a
> very nice and  affordable AC
> drive, but their DC drives are a nightmare. Baldor
> drives are very  user-friendly,
> but always seem to have issues with control power
> supplies.  Eurotherm drives
> are *way* over-engineered for programming options
> (difficult to  commission),
> and not robust enough. Hitachi and Mitsubishi AC
> drives are about  the
> cheapest I've found, and seem to do fine.
>
> -Phil LaBudde
> Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic
> Improbabilities

Goes to show how different industries and different
sizes and different applications have had very
different experiences. We've bought literally hundreds
of every size, shape, and color, and the best luck
we've had was with Robicon (though now they're
Siemens). Two of our largest facilities are 100%
Robicon.

Adam