Re: One-shot coil? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:13:11 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: One-shot coil? (fwd)

In a message dated 7/12/2007 4:50:10 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,

Date:  Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:19:02 -0400
From: Scott Bogard  <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

John,
Is this why some of  the solid state and tube coils I've seen look like
light sabers, the long  strait thick sparks.  If I am not mistaken, these are
just drivers  oscillating the secondary, no resonant primary, like a DRSSTC
or  SISG.  I don't really know, as I have never built a solid state coil of
any kind (unless you count driving flybacks for plasma globes).
Scott  Bogard.

Scott

Yes you are correct.  The SSTC's or tube coils can be run either  pulsed
or continuous.  The light saber effect is caused within a particular  range of
pulse rates along with some other factors.  But even a  "continuous" running
VTTC is pulsed at the 60Hz AC line frequency so it will give a torchlike  but
usually gnarled, (but not swordlike) spark.  Filtered DC gives the  short
plasma like sparks
that look like a propane torch sort of .  And yes they are  oscillators.  The
VTTC has a resonant primary, but it doesn't make much difference,  just
a little better efficiency.  Since they use an oscillator,  not much energy
is stored, and peak powers tend to be low, compared to disruptive  coils.
Although DRSSTCs manage to give high efficiency anyway.

John