Re Ignition coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:36:11 +0930
From: Roger Foreman <rebus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re Ignition coils

Daniel, appologies for the incorrect name.
I guess it all depends on how big that table top coil is going to be ;^)
There are a number of pages on the web that will show you how to run an automotive ign coil on mains voltage with a light dimmer and a cap of some sort - It's been done, however I'm not that keen on the idea really.
I found them just by searching under "High Voltage".
An NST might be better option........

Did you have a look at the rmcybernetics "Power Pulse Controller" page?
As far as I can remember, the circuit design includes the pin numbering for the 555 chip.
They also provide practical information on wiring and driving auto ignition coils in parallel for higher current (voltage isn't such a problem with ign coils).
The whole idea of adjustability in terms of frequency and duty cycle with respect to driving ignition coils with this circuit is to be able to tune the HV output effectively.
Heck, they'll even sell you a made up version of the circuit if you want to go that route.
You can also ask them questions via their own list, re any of their circuits and devices.
BTW, I have no affiliation with rmcybernetics, so this is neither a paid, nor unpaid endorsement.

Perhaps if you could give the list some parameters regarding the scale of your project, you might find yourself in receipt of information that will enable you to build your own TC safely and economically.

Regards Roger