Re: synchronous gap help (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:58:22 -0500
From: D.C. Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: synchronous gap help (fwd)

Try doing this about 1 sec after you shut the power off and see what
happens.  No, don't --- you could get a bad burn.

It's not the xmfr producing the heat --- it's the peak current coming from
the cap.  Although the xmfr has to supply the current for rapid recharging,
it's the cap and it's resistance path that determine peak current and
temp --- nothing to do with the xmfr rating.

It is usually near red hot when operating with too small electrodes.  A good
coil design with this xmfr and a .02 - .03 uF cap will produce 5,000 degrees
in the spark channel during operation with primary currents in the
neighborhood of 200 peak Amps.

Bigger coils always cost more, no doubt about that.

Dr. Resonance
Resonance Research Corp.
www.resonanceresearch.com