rotary spark gap; # of electrodes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:41:46 -0500
From: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: rotary spark gap; # of electrodes

Hello,

I just got my hands on a synchronous motor, 1800 rpms.  It's an Oriental
motor from an old teletype machine.  My question is how many electrodes do I
need.  I've heard of coilers using a propeller gap with one rod spinning and
four stationary electrodes.  I've also seen Johns design using the identical
motor that I have at web site www.hometown.aol.com/futuret/page6.html.  It
seems to me that one spinning rod and two stationary electrodes would be
enough for maximum power at minimum breaks per second, so why use four?

I'm going to use the RSG with a 12Kv, 60mA NST powered coil that I already
have made.  Cp = 0.0212uF.  I've read that you can increase the primary cap
size too when running a RSG,  What is the rule of thumb for this?
With a bigger Cp I can also use a bigger torroid.  : - )

thanks,

Shaun