Re: My cousins car died! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 14:02:46 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: My cousins car died! (fwd)

In a message dated 7/8/07 1:33:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>A  mechanic friend of his, said that perhaps the EMFs from the
>coil fried  the diodes in the alternator, he says only newer cars have  them

    Cars have been using diodes in alternators for the  past 50+ years.
    Many US military vehicles stuck with DC generators  at least through the
'70's, however.
    There *has* been a recent automotive trend to  incorporate more and more
functions into one central computer. For example, I  helped a friend out
recently with a dead alternator. Long story short, I found  out that the
manufacturer had put half the voltage regulator in the car's main  computer. If that
part of the voltage regulator dies, you need to replace the  entire computer.
Turns a $10 fix into a $1500 fix. And if your regulator dies,  your alternator
may put out enough voltage to fry everything else in the car.  Some people think
this is "progress".
    As with most other hazards, distance is your  friend...

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities