Re: 1 gap rotary spark gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1 gap rotary spark gap (fwd)

Hi Scott,
      I read the other replies and basically concur that this would present some difficulties unless you used a fairly good ceramic like boron nitride....I don't know the mechanical properties of it, so it could fly apart.  I only know it's a great insulator for electricity and a great conductor for heat.. Not sure if it would work for your idea.   I think having a normal rotary gap and possibly a quench gap in series would work better.
  Mike

  Hey all,
     I'm sure this has been done before by somebody somwhere, but I got
 an
idea.  Could one build a spark gap, that consisted of a single gap
 between
two stationary electrodes, with a disk, an insulator, that spun between

them.  the disk would have holes in it allowing the gap to arc
 occasionally,
as the holes passed the stationary electrodes.  Would there be any
 advantage
to this design (my thinking is that a single gap would lead to
 (slightly)
higher efficiencies, and if one could find a very thin but strong
 insulator,
it would be very easy to build).  Just felt like potting that out
 there.
Scott Bogard.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?