Re: interesting secondary phenomonea

Original poster: "Forest Darling" <fdarling@xxxxxxxxx>

Vacuum capacitors store energy because each plate is equally and
oppositely charged but the two plates have a net neutral charge.
You're just moving some electrons from one plate to the other and they
are trying to get back...

The distance between the plates makes a difference because it's easy
to move them from one plate to the other when they have a spot to go
to where they are attracted to the positive charges they left on the
other plate so they don't care so much about being repelled by the
negative charges they are packed next to. The charges are sort of
repelling on the plane of the plate but attracting to the opposite
charges perpendicular to the plate. The closer they are the higher the
ratio of attraction to repulsion and the more easily charges can be
pushed into the plate (higher capacitance.)

I apologize if my explanation is a bit verbose, I can visualize the
particles and forces in my mind and I'm trying to covey the image.
Hope it helps!

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Gav D" <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,
that's what I thought actually, but I wasn't going to say it. Virtual
photons in the zero-point flux turn into electron-positron pairs,
which are electrical dipoles, and so polarize. I just rather hoped
there may have been a simpler/more sensible answer!

Gavin
Hey Gavin,
      I honestly don't know how a vacuum cap stores energy,  but the
pair production is about as good an explanation as any....At least
until someone tells us a better explanation.  Dang it....now I'm
gonna have to think about it....lol...hope it doesn't give me a
nosebleed.  haha
Mike

The fish are biting.