Re: interesting secondary phenomonea

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

Hi Ed,

Woops, I forgot the context of the thread. I was referring to the charge location of a parallel plate capacitor. In this case, I agree that the charge is on the surface of the coating and probably created from the energy stored in the dielectric that is released over time. That's what I get for reading these threads intermixed &*@?%$#

Gerry R.

Gerry,

I have been shocked by my secondary after several long runs. If I slide my hands up and down the secondary, many sparks jump out to my hands. This happens over and over again. There is obviously quite a charge built up there. This is all happening with the secondary still grounded. If the charge was being stored in the conductor, I would think the earth ground would remove it quickly. I believe the charge is stored in the coating - polyurethane in this case, or possibly in the plastic coil form itself.

Ed Sonderman