Re: Help required - ignition coil Tesla

Original poster: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi James,
Using spark coils will never get you a big spark.
You need some current to excite the coil and automotive coils will just not supply what is needed to peak the coil.

I would suggest you find a 4 to 6 KV @ 30 ma neon sign transformer or an oil fired furnace ignition transformer. and try that.

You are probably putting in an estimated 40 watts max into the coil and you are going to get the result you have. By using a NST, you will be putting in approx 4 times the power with the 4KV and approx 6 times with a 6KV one.

Use a  capacity  around 20,000 pf or 0.02 mfd  with the transformers.

For the ignition coils you are using, I would halve the capacity you have to a value around 0.002 mfd. You will still not get a big spark unless you increase the current and car coils will be unable to supply that.

Frank