Re: ARGH!!: broken wire

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Jan 12, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Frosty,

"while winding a new secondary, the wire broke about 2/3 of the way
up!!
what's the best thing to do? if I join it is it best to have the
end of the
secondary closest to the join as the base (i.e. closest to the
primary) or
use that end as the top to put the toroid on (it will be about 1.5"
above
the end of the coil..), also what's the best way to join the wire?
Ouch, I hate it when that happens...."

The only time I ever ran into this issue was when I wound a very
large (24") secondary.  The spool of wire I'd bought turned out to
have a splice in it, and not even an electrical one!  They'd just
twisted the wire together, although it looked to have been done with
a machine.

Anyhoo, I poked the wire ends into the inside of the form, soldered
them together, covered the join with RTV, covered the discontinuity
on the outside of the form with RTV, and never saw the slightest bit
of corona come off the splice - I even hung a mirror over the form
once to see whether it was making streamers inside the form - it was
not.  Admittedly, that was a terribly inefficient coil, and a bad
design (not my own, it was built from plans I bought from the back of
a magazine, I'll leave you to guess the name of the company) and I
never pulled more than five foot strikes from it, despite nearly 12kW
going in...

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux

WWTD: What Would Tesla Do?