Re: Suitable doorknob caps?

I have a bunch of Sprague 0.004 mfd, 15 kV ceramic doorknob filter capacitors which I picked up cheap. They get hod after a minute of running, they do change capacitance significantly, but they work just fine with these limitations. Very low series resistance of course. I fried a couple (short and cracked ceraminc) when I tried to run them too long but that's the only trouble.

   Advantages:

   Cheap
   Compact
   Low ESR

   Disadvantages:

   Overheat
   Unstable capacitance

Mica are great but very expensive unless you're lucky to find a bargain, and they also tend to be much larger. The multicapacitor seems to be the way to go in the long run but don't turn your back on anything which can work.

Ed