Re: Transformer Need

Original poster: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Frank,

Two microwave oven transformers in series will give you something close to 4000 VAC at about 500 mA. You could parallel two series sets for 4000 VAC at close to 1000 mA. You can find these parts at the curb on trash day, or at your local recycling center. However, most modern coilers go for higher input voltages. The setting of the spark gaps is extremely critical with such low voltages, and the choice of capacitors becomes more difficult. A great deal has been learned about optimum coil construction since 1937. Unless you are trying to recreate an historical design in accurate period fashion, you would probably get more satisfactory results with a modern neon sign or pig driven system.

Dave

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I am trying to locate parts to build a coil from a 1937 article I have.

Does anyone know where I can obtain an old pole transformer, 4400 V to 120 V 5 KVA?
This was common for houses back then but impossible to find so far.

I do not want a modern higher voltage transformer as I do not need higher current, voltage or size.

Thanks ,Frank